Images for illustration purposes only. Brands may vary.
Fastest delivery available: 11/12/2023
For more information on our delivery times, please click here
Jext is a prefilled pen used to treat anaphylaxis (severe allergic reactions). Jext is manufactured by ALK-Abelló. It contains adrenaline and is injected into the thigh muscle.
We offer Jext on an individual patient basis through our secure online pharmacy service for the emergency treatment of life-threatening anaphylaxis.
- For emergency use only
- Acts quickly to treat allergic reactions
- Jext provides life-saving emergency treatments for severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis).
Buy Jext Online UK
Jext 300mcg can be ordered from our UK registered online prescribing service. Simply complete an online medical questionnaire as part of your order. This helps our prescribers make sure it is safe and suitable to prescribe for you.
If approved by our medical team, our pharmacy team will receive a prescription. This will be dispensed and dispatched to your delivery address. Only people currently prescribed this by their GP can request this medicine.
You can sign up for the Jext expiry alert service to make sure that you get notified before your Jext pen(s) expire
What is Jext and What is it Used For?
Jext is a treatment used to treat anaphylactic shock in patients with severe allergies. It is a prefilled pen, containing adrenaline, which is injected into the muscular tissue in the thigh. During an anaphylactic episode, this works by preventing blood pressure from dropping to dangerous levels. Jext is manufactured by ALK and is only available to buy in the UK with a prescription. It contains the same ingredient as EpiPen and works in the same way.
Because two pens may be required to treat a reaction in certain cases, patients with anaphylactic allergies are advised to carry two with them. These should be administered 5-15 minutes apart, where required.
Jext is used for the emergency treatment of an allergic reaction. The drug epinephrine is a life-saving medication. It acts on the entire body to block the progression of the allergic response. This medication is used to treat serious allergic reactions to:
- Foods such as nuts, milk, fish, eggs etc.
- Medicines such as antibiotics and antiinflammatory drugs
- Insect stings and bites - particularly bee and wasp stings
- Other substances
A severe allergic reaction, known as Anaphylaxis, develops suddenly and can progress quickly. Once the EpiPen is administered, it works rapidly to constrict the blood vessels, leading to increased blood pressure. The muscles around the airways relax, causing the lungs to open, which helps the individual to breathe again.
As well as easing the symptoms of the allergic reaction, epinephrine also prevents the release of more allergic chemicals, stopping the progression of the allergic response.
How Does Jext Work?
Each Jext pen contains a single dose of the medicine. Before using your Jext, you should have received the appropriate training to use your Jext pen correctly. As well as knowing how to use the pen for yourself, close friends, family members, and work colleagues should also have trained so they can administer Jext if you are unable to do so yourself.
Take the time to regularly familiarise yourself with your Jext instructions. If you are ever unsure of how to use your Jext pen, then you should consult with your doctor as soon as possible. Never use Jext if you are unsure, as this could be a threat to your health. You should also carry two Jext pens with you at all times.
When to Use Jext
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms related to Anaphylaxis you should use Jext immediately. Anaphylaxis is a medical emergency. Failure to treat it immediately could result in serious health problems. For some, it can even result in death.
If someone has Anaphylaxis symptoms, you should use their Jext pen immediately and make sure they lay down and stay still whilst you wait for an ambulance. It is also important to remove the trigger of the reaction if possible.
Symptoms of Anaphylaxis
Anaphylaxis is an emergency situation. The symptoms of this reaction come on quickly, and they can worsen at a rapid rate if not treated immediately. There are many symptoms of Anaphylaxis, and anyone suffering from a reaction can experience several of them.
Everyone will react differently, so it is important to familiarise yourself with these symptoms so you know what to look out for. Symptoms include:
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the lips, face and throat
- Wheezing or a horse voice
- Feeling dizzy or lightheaded
- Rapid heartbeat
- Hives and itching
- Pale or clammy skin
- Nausea or vomiting
- Abdominal pain
- Low blood pressure
- Fainting or collapsing
|Ingredient||Adrenaline (as tartrate)|
|Injection Site||Outer Thigh|
Jext Side Effects:
Like most medications, there are some side effects associated with an EpiPen auto-injector. The most common include:
- Fast/Pounding heartbeat
- Trouble breathing
- Pale skin
For a more comprehensive list of the side-effects assocaited with Jext, please read the Jext 300 microgram patient leaflet
You should still use your adrenaline pen if you experience an anaphylactic reaction during pregnancy, as you and your child’s life may be at risk.
Driving and Using Machinery
You should not drive or operate machines after using this pen, and call 999 immediately.
Inform your doctor or nurse during your consultation if you have or have ever had:
- An overactive thyroid
- Heart disease
- High Blood Pressure
- A tumour on the adrenal gland
- Renal or prostate disease
- Low potassium levels (hypokalemia) in the blod
- High calcium levels (hypercalcemia) in the blood
Patient Information Leaflet
How Do I Use Jext?
Make sure you read the instructions provided in the patient information leaflet carefully when you receive this product. If you have been advised to carry an adrenaline pen, a doctor or nurse should have shown you how to use it. If you haven’t been shown, contact your GP to arrange this immediately. If you are unsure of anything relating to this medicine, speak to your doctor immediately.
- To be used as directed
- One pen contains 300mg of adrenaline (as tartrate), a single adult dose.
- The pen should be used as soon as you notice signs of a severe allergic reaction, such as swelling of the lips, tongue or throat; shortness of breath, wheezing or trouble breathing; nausea/vomiting, skin rashes, itching, hives, feeling faint and an elevated, fast heart rate.
- Following contract with an allergen (trigger), quickly remove the offending allergen from the body (where possible). This might be taking a wasp sting out of the skin for example or removing a piece of food from the mouth that is causing the reaction.
- To use the pen remove the yellow cap.
- It can be injected directly into the skin or through clothing, but must only be used on the outer thigh.
- Position the black tip on the outer thigh. It should be held at a 90 degree angle.
- Press the tip firmly into the thigh, until you hear a click. Hold the pen firmly in position for 10 seconds.
- After using the pen, call 999 immediately.
- If symptoms persist, then you may be able to administer a second dose after 5-15 minutes if your doctor has deemed this suitable beforehand. If this is the case, you must use a second pen as each pen only contains one dose.
Please be aware, the above details are a summary of all the insturctions and considerations you should make prior to using Jext. For more information please follow the advice of your doctor or nurse and read the insturctions and patient information leaflet thoroughly.
How Long Does Jext Take To Work?
Typically, the Jext will start to work immediately. Symptoms such as wheezing and difficulty breathing should improve within minutes of when Jext is administered. The effects of the Jext will start to wear off after around 10 to 20 minutes.
If the symptoms are not easing, then you will need to immediately administer a second dose. It is important to note that other symptoms may take longer to ease. For example, rashes, swelling, and abdominal pain can take longer to go away. You should always call for emergency medical help as soon as possible.
Confirm Jext treatment selection